- No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man’s permission when we ask him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor.
- The law is reason free from passion.
- At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst.
- Let every man remember that to violate the law is to trample on the blood of his father, and to tear that charter of his own and his children’s liberty.
- As long as the world shall last there will be wrongs, and if no man objected and no man rebelled, those wrongs would last forever.
- A wise man proportions his beliefs to the evidence.
- As a peacemaker, the lawyer has a superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.
- Lawyers, I suppose, were children once.
- I busted a mirror and got 7 years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me 5.